Saturday, December 24, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows


This is a hard review for me to write as I am a huge Guy Ritchie fan.  I really respect what he tried to do with a unique take on the Sherlock Holmes mythos.  I also have huge amounts of respect for Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law.  All that being said, I can’t say I enjoyed this film.  Maybe it’s just my hang up as the first one was popular enough to produce this sequel.  Still, there is something inherently unsatisfying about this film.  I feel it valued style over substance and action over plot.  There are lots of cool visuals and stunning action sequences, but the story left me less than impressed.

Guy Ritchie made his name on his hard edged style of movie making and I respect that.  I think it was a bold move to adapt the usually stuffy Sherlock Holmes character with a hip and more action adventure take.  All these great ingredients still needed to be brought together in a coherent format, which neither of these films do.

Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law return as the original dynamic duo of crime fighting.  This time around Holme’s most notorious adversary Moriarty (Jarred Harris) is the villain.  Moriarty is Holme’s intellectual equal in every aspect, but even more formidable as he is not encumbered with morality or  conscience.  As Holme’s investigation into the mysterious Moriarty deepens, it leads him around Europe as he uncovers a plan that has world devastating consequences.  Holme’s enlists the aid of his once constant companion Dr Watson, who is newly married with plans of retiring from his life of adventure.  

Watson’s involvement became confusing to me as I never really bought how Holme’s talked the newlywed onto the case and I never understood why Moriarty was fixated with him.  It was an odd plot device that I didn’t feel worked.  Downey’s eccentric interpretation of Holmes, while at times interesting, seemed a little over the top  and went to the excess merely for comedic value.  I liked the interpretation, but moderation would have made it more effective.

It was fun to see pre-WWI Europe which gave a sense of foreboding as Moriarty attempted to orchestrate the start of the war.  We know that no matter what the outcome of the movie, the war will indeed happen, so there is actually suspense in the inevitability of it.

A few interesting supporting characters were introduced, not the least interesting was Holme’s domineering older brother Mycroft Holmes (played by Stephen Fry who looks nothing like Holmes).  You can see that eccentricity runs in the family.  Also introduced was the enigmatic gypsy fortune teller Simza (Noomi Rapace).  Her main contribution was adding a female lead to an almost all male cast.  

There are some positive things to say about this film and I know many who have enjoyed this Guy Ritchie franchise.  For me, the dazzle and edge was not enough to make up for a rather mundane story line rife with cliche plot devices (does anyone still find it that amusing when men dress up as women for a disguise?).  I’ll still go see Guy Ritchie films, but this is not one that I will be repeating
I give this film ** stars

No comments:

Post a Comment