Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oscar Predictions 2013


I TANKED IT!!!!!  I only hit 3 out of 6.  I am humbled.

I was right on Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress.

The ones I missed:

Best Actress:  I picked Emmanuelle Riva, but I didn't really expect to win that one. Still Jennifer Lawrence for "The Silver Linings Playbook"???? C'mon, it wasn't that good.  Her performance in the "Hunger Games" was far better.

Best Supporting Actor:  I picked Phillip Seymour Hoffman and it was Christoph Waltz.  Actually, I couldn't be happier about this one.  I'm glad that he won.  Well deserved.

Best Director:  This was the surprise of the night.  All the money was on Spielberg.  I think that "Life of Pi "was a good choice as, from a craftsman point of view, Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" was far superior.  I'm just suprised the Academy recognized it.

           Okay family and friends, once again I shall make my Oscar predictions.  I have had fairly consistent results over the years, usually hitting at least 5 out of the 6 categories that I predict.  Let's hope I don't break the streak.

This year is difficult as there are few stand outs to me, but as always, The Oscars are not about what is truly the best performance, rather the politics of Hollywood.  I will qualify my predictions that i choose what I think will win and not always the one I find most impressive

Best Picture: The mojo is all behind “Argo”.  
“Lincoln” has the only chance of upsetting Argo, but I feel it won’t happen.

Actor In A Leading Role Here the mojo is with “Lincoln”.  I predict Daniel Day Lewis will win, although Denzel Washington gave an incredible performance. Joaquin Phoenix is a long shot, but I feel he has fallen out of favor with the Academy.

Actress In A Leading Role Everyone is thinking Jessica Chastain or Jennifer Lawrence.  I am going out on a limb and ignore my own advice.  My conscience will not let me choose anyone other than Emmanuelle Riva for “Amour”.  Truly the superior performance out of everyone and I don’t care if I’m wrong.  She deserves it.

Actor In A Supporting Role This is a tough one.  I think it is between Christoph Waltz again or Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  I want Christoph Waltz, but my gut tells me Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Actress In A Supporting Role Anne Hathaway, no doubt in my mind.  A truly great actress. I will be embarrassed if i miss this one.

Directing This one is between Steven Spielberg and Ang Lee.  “Life of Pi” didn’t make a big enough buzz when it came out.  I have to go with Steven Spielberg

No comments:

Post a Comment