Friday, January 31, 2014

2014 Oscar Predictions


Time again for me to try my luck with the Oscar predictions.  Some years I do well, while others not so much.  Usually when I stumble, it’s because I let my personal preferences interfere with my objective judgement concerning the tastes and politics of the Academy.  This year, I have decided to do what I want to win and what I think will win.  We shall see…

Best Picture:
I Think: American Hustle:  This film seems to have all the mojo.  Personally, I think it’s over-hyped, but still a fun film.
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
I Want: 12 Years a Slave:  Fantastic movie. Steve McQueen’s best work to date.  It definitely has the Hollywood politics on it’s side, but I’m not sure it’s enough to beat the American Hustle bandwagon
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Actor:  Not to sound cliché, but everyone of these actors deserved to win.  I would be fun to see Bruce Dern pull out a dark horse win.
Christian Bale – American Hustle
Bruce Dern – Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street
I Want: Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave is the defining role of his career.  Incredible job.  It’s also who I think will win as well.
Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress:
Amy Adams – American Hustle
I Think: Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine.  Great performance and I will be very happy if she wins
Sandra Bullock – Gravity
I Want :Judi Dench – Philomena.  Everyone loves Judi Dench and in my opinion her best performance of her impressive and distinguished career.  I don’t think the film made enough of a splash to win.
Meryl Streep – August: Osage County

Best supporting Actor:
Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
I Think I Want Bradley Cooper - American Hustle:  I’m giving this to Cooper.  It’s who I think will win and who I want to win.  More about the intensity of the performance than the actual quality of the acting, but attitude counts.
Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave
Jonah Hill - The Wolf of Wall Street
Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress:
Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
I Think I Want: Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle:  This will be year two for Jennifer Lawrence.  It wasn’t a good year for the supporting actress category.  I can’t think of another performance that will compete, although I did enjoy June Squibb’s performance in ‘Nebraska’
Lupita Nyong’o - 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
June Squibb - Nebraska

Best Director:
American Hustle – David O. Russell:  
 I Think:  Gravity – Alfonso Cuarón:  Changed my mind.  I think this will go to Alfonso
Nebraska – Alexander Payne
I Want: 12 Years a Slave – Steve McQueen.  Hands down the person who should win.  McQueen always makes thought provoking films and this is his best work to date. 
The Wolf of Wall Street – Martin Scorsese

No comments:

Post a Comment