Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Walk



‘The Walk’ is the first great movie of the Oscar season.  Roger Zemeckis has put together a film based on the 1974 tight rope crossing between  the World Trade center towers by legendary French performance artist, Phillipe Petit (played by one of my favorites, Joseph Gordon-Levitt).  Not only is this a great historical piece, but it is also a cinematic work of art.  Zemeckis captures the spirit of the time and Petit’s Gaelic passion, but this is also a case where the special effects truly make this film not just spectacular, but one of the most breath taking (and vertigo inducing) experiences at the movies I have ever encountered.  I saw it in 3-D.  I’m not sure I could have handle IMAX.  The suspension of disbelief is so real that you actually feel like you are on the wire with him as he traverses the gulf between the two towers.  I noticed many people in the audience unable to even watch as the third act unfolds.

In this day and age of spectacular blockbusters, where bouts of superhuman achievement have become the norm, it is a credit to Zemeckis’ skill as a Director that he is able to showcase human achievement with wonder beyond anything that a mega blockbuster is able to convey.  Further, this is not just some dry documentary accounting the life of Phillipe Petit.  This is a rich and artistically done film that brings to life the passion and mania of a Parisian street performer.  I already held Joseph Gordon-Levitt in high regard, but he flawlessly adopts the French accent and artistic spirit that I would have doubted an American would have been able to capture.  Oscar season starts in October and I will be amazed if this doesn’t garner him a nomination.

The story of Petit traversing the World Trade Towers was one of which I was always aware, but the depth of planning and execution was something I never imagined.  With the complexity of a bank robbery, Petit and his crew plotted for months with excruciating detail on how to execute the performance art of the century.  The film’s narration style fits well with getting inside the head of an artist whose passion turns to mania as he becomes fixated on what was, at the time, the tallest buildings in the world.  We feel his obsession for the artistry of the feat to a level that we know it was no longer a choice for him.  It was simply something that must be done.

While this was completely Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s film, I don’t want to over look a strong supporting cast.  Charlotte Le Bon as his love interest Annie was superb.  She was his support, if not of the act itself, then of his dream.  Charlotte Le Bon is a French Canadian actress who has been popping up a lot lately as the go to French character actress, but I hope she is able to break the type casting as her performance rises above mere support.  She shines with out over bearing.  Ben Kingsley plays Petit’s Czech circus mentor, Papa Rudy.  Kingsley also delivers a performance that is powerful because it is not over bearing.  He is Petit’s harshest critic, but his admiration of Petit’s passion and drive is never in doubt.  I’m not sure what accent Kingsley was putting on, but it must have been authentic if he was doing it.

In addition to the incredible feat itself, ‘The Walk’ also captures the spirit of the 70’s, both in New York and Paris.  There was only one scene where they mocked Americans, but overall it was a return to a day where the world saw America as a land where people went to accomplish great things.  It was a destination. It was fun to see all the ethnicities interact and enjoy each other’s differences.  It was also a joy to watch the authorities, while they knew they had to stop what Petit was doing, stand in marvel and admiration of the feat that he performed.  

I can’t recommend this film highly enough.  At every level it is a cinematic accomplishment.  This shows the potential of what CGI is meant to be.  Something that not only enhances a film, but also completes the palette of the story being told.  I haven’t seen what will come out the rest of the year, but I need for this performance to be nominated come Academy Awards time.  If you go, you will be uneasy and depending on your constitution it may be to the point of excessive discomfort.  I have heard stories of audience members throwing up or passing out during this film.  I confess, I don’t consider myself afraid of heights, but I had some severe heart palpitations during the third act.  Don’t let me scare you though.  This film illustrates how man can achieve and exceed anything those superhuman blockbusters can throw at you.  


I give this film ***** stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment