Saturday, June 2, 2018

Solo: A Star Wars story


         So let me start off by saying that even though I am well acquainted with the Star Wars universe and, more often than not, enjoy the films when they come out, I am not what one would call a Star Wars fan.  I don’t eagerly await the release of each one, nor do I have strong opinions other than if I enjoyed the film or not.  I have immense respect for the franchise and the place it holds in film and even American history.  I say all of that to preface I feel I have no true bias in reviewing ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’.  I smile as most Star Wars fanatics seem to anticipate each new installment with rabid zealotry, yet seem to relish in their almost mob like mentality in decrying how woefully inadequate the final product is over social media or to anyone who will listen to their rants.  I don’t think it’s always an entirely unwarranted criticism, but I feel the original trilogy has been so idolized in the minds of fans that nothing would be able to live up to their expectations.  I’m going to make a seemingly contradictory statement here in that I feel that ‘Solo’ is the least impressive of all the Star Wars movie, but the one I enjoyed the most.  Director Ron Howard brings us a smaller tale of the formative years of a young Hans Solo (Alden Ehrenreich).  There is none of the galactic battles where the universe hangs in the balance nor armadas clashing with armadas.  Much as the title indicates, this is simply a Star Wars tale and I am fine with that.

The film begins with Hans’ early life as a small time thief trying to escape his miserable existence.  He dreams of becoming a pilot and escaping with his love Qi’re (Emilia Clarke) to the stars.  Ehrenreich does a good enough job playing a roguish young thug, yet my primary complaint is that he never really captures Hans Solo charm or spirit.  Try as he might to mimic it, he comes across as more a star of a CW TV show than a movie star.  I was never able to get over my suspension of disbelief that this was THE Hans Solo. Conversely, Donald Glover completely channels Lando Cairissian’s suave charm and cool and has probably sealed his fate as a future movie star.  With those opinions firmly entrenched in my mind we follow as Hans eventually escapes his hell hole of a planet. Unfortunately, he is separated from his beloved Qi’ra in the process.  Hans enlists in the Imperial forces vowing to one day return and rescue his beloved.

Of course, order and discipline do not suit Hans and as soon as he is able he teams up with a motley group of thieves led by Beckett (Woody Harrelson also proving that TV sitcom stardom is in his distant past).  Hans idolizes Becketts roguish ways and soon earns his way into the team.  It is through Beckett and his grand heists that Hans meets Lando and of course his soon to be lifelong companion, Chewbacca.  Then of course, through Lando (as any good 'Empire Strikes Back’ nerd knows) we are introduced to the Millennium Falcon. Not the old rust bucket from the original movies, rather the Falcon in her prime.  Add to this the obligatory android L3-37 (voiced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge) and we have a team ready to take on any heist the galaxy can offer.  I will say, despite my previous comment, that L3-37 was probably one of the more interesting characters and I felt they left Lando’s unrequited love for “her” unexplored.  As weird as it sounds, it was one of the more interesting sub-plots that ended too soon.  

As stated earlier, this was not a majestic battle movie, rather a smaller heist movie with plenty (maybe too many) of twists and turns.  This type of Sci-fi is not Ron Howard’s forte, but I feel he respected the Star Wars canon while making it is own.  He skillfully linked references from previous films as well as littered plenty of cameos and foreshadowing.  I am interested to where Disney will take this franchise as they don’t seem to have a clear vision of what they want it to be (compared to say their Marvel franchise).  They left the ending open to future sequels, but they so far have given us independent stories with no common link other than the characters.  I’m not complaining, just curious of the future long-term plans (or do they even have any).  That being said, this is worth a see, if for nothing else than it’s just a good popcorn munching matinee.


I give this film *** stars out of five.



1 comment:

  1. I'm totally a star wars fan since the beginning and i agree with this review only to say that it was first movie that i was less impress with this installment. It takes a view of a Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in space. I haven't been this less occupied watching a movie since the remake or the "Mob Squad" which I got up and left out on. Dvd awaits it.

    ReplyDelete