Saturday, February 8, 2020

Oscar Predictions 2020


Oscar Predictions 2020

So every year I try to predict the Oscars.  I do this from the understanding that the Oscars do not always pick the “best” picture, rather the one that reflects the politics of Hollywood during that year.  I also realize that my opinion is just that: my opinion.  

With that in mind, in addition to my prediction of how Hollywood will choose, I’m going to add who I think should win (complete with acknowledging all my biases) and who (as objectively as I can ) should actually win.  Subtle differences to be sure, but they are there.  So here goes: 


Leading Actor:
Antonio Banderas in PAIN AND GLORY
Leonardo DiCaprio in ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD
Adam Driver in MARRIAGE STORY
Joaquin Phoenix in JOKER
Jonathan Pryce in THE TWO POPES

Prediction:  Joaquin Phoenix: Tour de force acting job that has everyone buzzing
I Think:         Joaquin Phoenix
Should Win: Antonio Banderas:  A subtle and powerful performance that no one saw. Long past his pretty boy stage, Banderas has developed into a master craftsman of his art.  Greatness does not always come in a blockbuster film.

Supporting Actor
Tom Hanks in A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Anthony Hopkins in THE TWO POPES
Al Pacino in THE IRISHMAN
Joe Pesci in THE IRISHMAN
Brad Pitt in ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD

Prediction:  Brad Pitt:  Hollywood loves this movie and Brad.  Hanks already has too many Oscars.
I Think:         Brad Pitt
Should Win: Brad Pitt


Leading Actress:
Cynthia Erivo in HARRIET
Scarlett Johansson in MARRIAGE STORY
Saoirse Ronan in LITTLE WOMEN
Charlize Theron in BOMBSHELL
Renée Zellweger in JUDY

Prediction:  Renee Zellweger:  Oscar darling
I Think:         Scarlett Johansen:  Didn’t like the movie, but she struck a perfect balance with this character.  
Should Win: Renee Zellweger:  Not my cup of tea, but no denying the talent in this

Supporting Actress:
Kathy Bates in RICHARD JEWELL
Laura Dern in MARRIAGE STORY
Scarlett Johansson in JOJO RABBIT
Florence Pugh in LITTLE WOMEN
Margot Robbie in BOMBSHELL

Prediction:  Laura Dern: Don't get the obsession with her or this role.  Personally think she is way over hyped as an actress.
I think:         Scarlett Johansson:  A great and powerful performance. Drama in the middle of a dark comedy
Should Win: Scarlett Johansson

Best Film
FORD V FERRARI
THE IRISHMAN
JOJO RABBIT
JOKER
LITTLE WOMEN
MARRIAGE STORY
1917
ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD
PARASITE
Prediction:  Joker:  No other movie had the well-deserved buzz this had.
I Think:         Parasite:  Korean filmmakers are producing some of the highest film art out there.  Shows you the power of this film as it wasn’t only relegated to the Foreign Language category
Should Win: 1917:  Film making at it’s finest and Sam Mendes’ finest work


Best Director
THE IRISHMAN
Martin Scorsese
JOKER
Todd Phillips
1917
Sam Mendes
ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD
Quentin Tarantino
PARASITE
Bong Joon Ho

Prediction:  Sam Mendes:  Career high director offering
I Think:         Sam Mendes:  Well deserved
Should Win: Bong Joon Ho:  Korean directors are not getting the level of respect that they deserve.  Fantastic movie worthy of an Oscar


So, these are my predictions with unasked for commentary.  I wish myself luck

No comments:

Post a Comment