Monday, February 7, 2011

Hereafter

 Hereafter

This is a movie that is not totally out of the mainstream but somewhat. Definitely not in the mold of a traditional Hollywood blockbuster.   Just saw the movie, "Hereafter' by Clint Eastwood and starring Matt Damon. I didn't have high expectations as, let's face it, Clint is in his 80's, I'm not a particular fan of Matt Damon, and most films about the afterlife tend to not have satisfying resolutions. This film was powerful to me on many levels. Most significant of which is that a low key, subtle movie could be so powerful in it's impact.
The story deals with three people who all have some connection with death experiences. Marie, a French journalist, almost dies during a tsunami in Thailand (frightingly realistic). Marcus, is a quiet troubled English boy who loses his more dominant twin brother in an accident, and Matt Damen, plays a former professional psychic, who unlike the majority of his colleagues worldwide, truly possess a gift to communicate with the dead. As I've stated, I'm not a big fan of Matt Damon, but he took a role which could have been played over the top and overacted, and played it with such subtlety and gravitas that you hung on every word and facial expression.
All three of them, worlds apart, all try to cope with understanding if there is life after death. Illustrating that no matter where you are from or what your background is,these are questions we all have in common. All seems totally separate until their life paths eventually come to intertwine. That's all I will say about the movie except that each of these 3 stories could have been a separate movie in and of themselves. Each had a different flavor and perspective and were equally captivating.
The call outs that were most memorable to me. Again, Clint Eastwood still proves to be highly relevant in his 80's. I will venture to say that this is one of his most artistic films to date. Matt Damon showing subtlety can be powerful, Bryce Dallas Howard (it's amazing how beautiful she is considering how homely her father is [sorry Richie Cunningham]) plays Matt Damon's potential girlfriend with an attractiveness and vulnerability rarely seen in Hollywood's bombshell actresses. Jay Moehr, who habitually plays wisecracking comedic roles, delivers a great performance as Matt Damon's brother who wishes to capitalize on his 'gift'. Marie (don't know the actress's name) is the epitome of European beauty. A woman whose life of celebrity and wealth is rendered meaningless to her by her near death experience. And then finally Marcus, the English boy. Played with such quiet conviction, yet you are still able to see the hurt in his eyes even when he smiles. I put him in the same league as Freddy Highmore.
I can see some people going to see this film and being bored by it's slow pace. For me, I was riveted to every word and walked out completely satisfied even though I had no more understanding of the afterlife than before I went in.

In my humble opinion, a truly fantastic film that I hope doesn't get overlooked at the Oscars. 

I rate this:  ***

2 comments:

  1. Again, well done. I do take exception, though,, to calling Ron Howard ugly. He's a Ginger and all Gingers are both cute and handsome. Also, Bryce a bonbshell? Hardly. She has an ethereal beauty but is definitely not a bonbshell by Hollywood norms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger is a racist comment. After the South Park episode, it should be banned from the English language (yes, I'm including the spice too)

    Also, I was trying ot say that Bryce was NOT like Hollywood Bombshell actresses and Bombshell actresses could not do what she brought to the role.

    ReplyDelete